These resources are part of a 1-hour presentation to help software engineers and developers improve their portfolios. Checkout our meetup to catch this topic and more.
Claim Your Profiles
Popular Online Profiles in Technology
- Product Hunt
Keep Things Consistent
Tool for finding a unique username across many platforms: https://instantusername.com/
Improve the Look of Your Portfolio
Buy a Theme (Instead of building your own)
Add Better Artwork
Improve Your Copy Writing
Write Code and Content
Simple Writing Prompts
- From _____________ to Software Engineer
Example: From School Teacher to Software Engineer
- Life at the Intersection of _____________, _____________, and _____________
Example: Life at the Intersection of technology, entreprenuership, and social impact.
- My First 3 Lessons as a Software Engineer
- From Code School to Career in Technology
- What Most Employers Miss from My Resume
Provide Better Experience
- Add a 2-3 minute walk-through for each portfolio item.
- Add a 3-4 minute introduction video that guides people through your personal website.
- Include links to specific commits and pull requests, instead of just linking to source code.
Excellent tool for screen recordings: https://www.loom.com/
Take Action Today with Next Steps
- Film an introduction video and add to your personal website
- Gather 2-3 references and add to your personal website
- Push all projects to Github (bonus points for adding repo descriptions and README)
- Claim your username on public profiles
- Update Linkedin to be clear, instead of clever
- Match your Name and Photo across all public profiles
- Setup a Medium account and publish 1-2, short pieces of content
- Add an image of your Github activity graph to your personal website
- Go write more code! (and push it to Github)
Was this helpful? Buy a copy of Code School Book: Overcome Imposter Syndrome and Kick-Start Your Career in Tech.